Larger doses, extended time before diagnosis, or extreme reactions to the toxin may extend the recovery time. Discover (and save!) A sample of the plant that your dog consumed will help to confirm the identity of the plant, and your veterinarian will likely order a biochemistry profile, complete blood count, and urinalysis at this time, as well performing as a full physical examination. 4: Chocolate. Supportive treatment will often start before a definitive diagnosis is made due to the severity of the symptoms. You can also call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435. Bay Laurel | … While the berries aren’t toxic to dogs, the leaves, seeds and bark are. Larkspur (young plants & seeds) Delphinium species Digestive upset, nervousness, depression. Bay laurel can be ground up in a mortar and pestle to use in spell bags or dressing candles. For information about particular risks presented by potentially harmful plants contact RHS Gardening Advice; Tel: (01483) 479700, 10am to 1pm. Typical symptoms include cardiac failure, diarrhea, perspiration, twitching, vomiting, and weakness. Mexican bay leaf (Litsea glaucescens) is often used in place of Laurus nobilis.The leaves are rich in essential oils.. California laurel (Umbellularia californica), also known as Oregon myrtle or pepperwood, is safe to use for culinary purposes, although the flavor is more pungent and intense than Laurus nobilis.. Non-Edible Bay Leaves. The Carolina cherry laurel, Prunus caroliniana, produces berries that are toxic to humans, dogs and livestock but safe for birds. If the exposure was more than an hour or so before treatment, the attending veterinarian might choose to perform a gastric irrigation under general anesthetic to remove as much toxin from the patient’s digestive system as possible. to both humans and animals. 8:17 AM . Laurel bay leaves are toxic to cats and dogs. The following materials are not safe if toxic chemicals or insecticides have been sprayed on them. Also, their sharp edges may also damage the GI tract. This is the same case of the species of plants where the bay leaf is obtained from common in various parts of the world since they also have various essential oils and eugenol. Can be fatal. It is because these plant’s leaves have not only eugenol but also other toxic essential oils. All parts of the tree can be toxic to dogs if ingested, with even small amounts leading to nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, possibly causing dehydration in your dog. I would put a call into your vet to get their opinion just to be safe, and try and not let the dogs get to the berries. Gastrointestinal tract blockages occur since this herb’s leaves are very tough and fibrous.